Friday 17 December 2010

Heeeeeeeeere's blastocyst!

Yes, that's right. We have pregnancy! I'm trying not to get too attached to the idea, because I live in fear of the m-word. That sounds flippant, but I really don't want to jinx us by even typing it. This tiny little bundle of cells inside me feels so precious and delicate, I want to hug it to me and protect it, but at the same time I want to pass my joy along to everyone I know and don't know. Really, the past few days I've had to stop myself from just casually slipping it into conversation with close friends, like the cashier at Tesco. "Would you like your receipt?" "Oh, well, I'm pregnant, so... no."

The timing of all those secret special plans I had for my husband worked out pretty spectacularly. I took the test the morning of his birthday (on Wednesday), then spent a few minutes jumping around and yelping. (The cat looked mildly concerned, but he's over it.) Then I made a treasure hunt, just little tags with clues on them, leading from one to another and then to his first present (gorgeous vintage tweed jacket). Some more clues led to his second present--a little elephant onesie. He was a little confused about why I'd get him a onesie, until I pulled the test from my back pocket. (Hey, urine's sterile.) More jumping and yelping. A very good birthday, I think.

Almost the first thing I did after telling the hubs and making a doctor's appointment was to email two friends, who are experts in yoga and running, to ask for advice on preggo exercise. The running lady's also a pretty new mom (she has an 18 month old), so I knew she'd have great advice.

I couldn't wait to hear back from them before starting on a healthy pregnancy kick, though, so I did a very gentle 20 minute prenatal yoga session and then went for a run. I really enjoyed the yoga. It focused a lot on what are called "locks," basically training the muscles of your pelvic floor and abdomen. The classes I took back home, the hardest yoga I've ever done, used locks quite a bit, so I think this one will stay in the repertoire post-natally as well.

The run was not quite as excellent. Well, I say run. I started running with the intention of doing so for 30 minutes straight, but kept feeling very sluggish. Ended up doing a 9 min./1 min. run/walk ratio for 30 minutes instead. I don't know if it was general out-of-shapeness that made the run so yucky, or if it's first trimester-induced exhaustion.

It feels like I shouldn't have the right to be tired out by pregnancy yet, only being about 4 weeks in. But even being chatted up--whilst running through a quiet, wooded area--by a highly sketchy dude on a bike (and therefore easily as fast/faster than me) wasn't enough to give my legs the energy to pick up the pace. Neither was the really hard rain that started about 22 minutes into the run.

On the other hand, I ended up with about a 10:00 pace including the walking, so maybe I just went out too fast. A problem with me.

And just so this isn't all negative running talk, I did start listening to Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Nice listening for an easy run.

Anyway, to sum up:
Distance: 3 miles
Time: 30:05
Notable stuff: First (knowingly) pregnant run! Felt sluggish and leaden-legged. Not helped by fairly strong rain or sketchy biker guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment