Wednesday 8 December 2010

TMI Dilemma

I've been thinking a lot about this blog, believe it or not, imaginary reader. It's kind of a weird thing. It started out as just a super-secret blog about wanting a baby just because I need an outlet. Like, not even my husband or my mom know about this blog. And then like two seconds later it became a super-secret yet semi-public blog about running, since half of Janathon is blogging your runs.

Which is kind of weird, yes, but the really weird thing is I'm not sure what kind of TMI I can go into here anymore. 'Cause in the Venn diagram of allowable running and pregnancy/trying/motherhood TMI, there is an overlap, but not really. To illustrate my point, literally, here are some diagrams. It may appear at first that there's a lot in common:


But here's the real story:


Or, in a little more detail...

TMI stuff runners can share:
-Stories about poop (getting the trots, almost getting the trots [I like the 2 Gomers' appellation of "code brown" for that one]*, seeing people get the trots, what kind of food gives you the trots, etc.)
-Stories about bleeding (that time you fell on your ass*, that time you saw someone fall on their ass, that time you lost a toenail, etc.)
-Stories about vomit (your vomit, other people's vomit, what kinds of food you blame for your vomit, which types of gel pack taste like vomit, how many miles you ran after vomiting, etc.)
-Stories about other bodily fluids (that gnarly blister you got after your first marathon and what it contained*, what happens to your nose when the temperature dips below freezing, the best kind of glove for dealing with below-freezing nose syndrome, etc.)

*Asterisks indicate subjects on which I have excellent stories that I might share one day if you're really lucky. Especially the one about the first time I got the trots, when some mobsters let me use their bathroom. True story.

TMI stuff pregnant ladies, hoping to be pregnant ladies, and moms can share:
-Stories about poop (what each trimester is doing to you number-two wise, hemorrhoids, what comes out of your baby's butt and what it might mean, etc.)
 -Stories about bleeding (when you got your last period, the horror show that went on after you gave birth, etc.)
-Stories about vomit (morning sickness, spit-up, projectile baby vomit that made you freak out and call the pediatrician again, etc.)
-Stories about other bodily fluids (breast milk, colostrum [which just sounds wrong, doesn't it?], weird gunk coming out of your baby's right eye that made you call the pediatrician again, etc.)

(You'll notice that there are no asterisks in this section. Yet.)

So... not sure what to do about that one. Except to say, if you're here for the running, sorry for the baby stuff. And vice versa. 'Cause I'm not good at non-TMI. Deal? Deal.

1 comment:

  1. It's your blog. They can avert their eyes from the parts they don't want. I have two boys and love to run. I'll read it all!

    ReplyDelete